The 1941 Goeland I have been gradually “restoring” (translate: preserving and making rideable again) was equipped with a French Cyclo rear derailleur. The French model is not to be confused with its British counterpart. Although the two derailleurs operate with a helical sliding bolt and friction shifting, the set-up of the cables and shifters is different between the two country’s versions. The French model features a c’est la vie attitude: no cable stops; no housing; set up success determined by your close connection to someone in the know. The British version has cable stops at both ends and cable housing for the entire length of the one piece cable (often described as a two piece system) which has a nipple welded to the middle of the cable to fit the slot in the helical bolt. The two Cyclo models seem to be a case of British pragmatism vs. French ingenuity. I think both are to be enjoyed and experienced.
Once you have sourced an appropriate cable (I harvested a NOS cable from a British Cyclo, which had its nipple welded on to the cable – you can also source a nipple that can be threaded on to any tandem length shifter cable), one of the most baffling elements of the set up is how to keep cable tension on the rear nipple, which must engage the helicoid bolt in order for the gear to shift. The photo above from a 1956 advertisement shows that the cable is routed through the derailleur spring. This definitely helps keep the cable nipple in place, but it is not a perfect solution. Nevertheless, this is how I set up the shifter cable for the 1941 Goeland.
The 1940s Cyclo shifter is a pretty little thing, weighing about nothing, but looking very nice. The arm of the shifter angles away from the frame just enough, but the length of this shifter’s lever is short compared to others of this era. The entire device is made from aluminum alloy, except for the outer steel cover, shown above.
This is the “conjoiner” which connects the two shifter cable ends together. It is probably actually some kind of evil spirit. No joy can be derived from working with this little device. It fits into the slot on the inside of the shifter. I can’t really comment from here except to say: watch out!
Here is the conjoiner coming out of its slot (of course!) on the shifter. I had become too confident when I thought I had my cable tension dialed in. So, when the conjoiner popped out of the shifter, I realized that where was no way to avoid the double wrapping and shifter twisting steps that I used when setting up a 1947 version on my Camille Daudon.
I am still in the process of restoring the 1941 Rigida Deco 650b wheelset. That has involved re-tensioning the spokes, cleaning and reviving the rims, and rebuilding the hubs. The freewheel has now been removed, cleaned and lubricated. The threads on the filp flop rear hub are in good shape, so once I have the freewheel back on the rear wheel, with a period correct chain installed, the set up of the rear derailleur should proceed with haste – or so I hope!